1 March – 25 April 2022
Watou Arts Festival invites you to take part in Patchwork. This summer you will be immersed in Watou for three days under the inspirational guidance of Koen Vanmechelen. Register now and maybe you will be one of the artists selected for Watou Arts Festival 2023.
“Patchwork” is an open call for professional artists and final year bachelor or master students in an art program. Inspirator Koen Vanmechelen and the city of Poperinge invite you to spend a few days in Watou during the summer of 2022. The number of participants in this project is limited to a maximum of fifteen per research period. Registration is necessary. A jury will select the participants based on motivation, CV and portfolio.
- Professional artists (all disciplines)
- Final-year Bachelor or Master students who follow a national or foreign art program (all disciplines)
- Individual or collective (maximum 3 people)
- Candidate participants from all countries are welcome
Two research periods are foreseen. You must select one or both periods upon registration. You will have to stay 3 nights in Watou. These are the periods:
- Tuesday, 12 July, to Friday, 15 July 2022
- Tuesday, 16 August, to Friday, 19 August 2022
- You will get sleeping accommodation for four days (three nights). This is the minimum period of stay (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday).
- We keep it basic: a small tent with a mattress (provided by us). Sanitary and kitchen, Wi-Fi, workspace, tables and chairs are available.
- You will receive a fee of 300 Euro netto to cover your costs.
- You can enter into dialogue/a debate with the inspirator Koen Vanmechelen.
- You can come as an individual, or as a collective (maximum 3 people).
- You can share your thoughts in the Watou notebook, or on our inspiration wall.
- You will stand a chance to be selected with your project proposal for the Arts Festival in 2023.
- Has the jury selected your project proposal? Then you will receive a budget of 5.000 Euro to work out the project in concrete terms. This budget includes fee and production cost.
Terms and Conditions?
- You must register with a motivation letter, CV and portfolio. The number of places is limited. The jury will select and confirm your participation.
- You are prepared to sleep in Watou for three nights.
- You would like to enter into dialogue with Koen Vanmechelen, the Watou community, the festival goers, artists, passers-by, …
- You have a healthy dose of empathy and guts.
- You must feel at liberty to share your thoughts, sketches and impressions on the inspiration wall during the camp.
- You will have to work out a project proposal after the Watou immersion.
- You must submit the proposal by 15 November.
- The open call will run from 1 March to 25 April 2022.
- The selection of the participants will be done by a jury, chaired by Koen Vanmechelen.
- The selection will be announced on 31 May 2022.
- The research periods will run from 12/07 – 15/07/2022 and from 16/08 – 19/08/2022.
- Project proposals for the Art Festival 2023 can be submitted until 15 November 2022.
- The winning project proposals will be announced on 10 January 2023.
- Your application must contain: name and/ or studio, address details, motivation letter, CV and relevant portfolio. You must supply this in Dutch and in English (synopsis). Per language: maxim 5 pages, delivered as a PDF.